Experimental Methods in Desalination and Membrane Technology
Short or summer course
- Sustainable desalination for drinking, agriculture and industry applications.
- Fouling and scaling issues in desalination and membrane systems.
- Pre-treatment systems.
- Environmental concerns in desalination.
- Experimental methods to assess fouling and scaling:
· Particulate fouling: i) silt density index (SDI), ii) modified fouling index (MFI0.45), iii) modified fouling index with ultrafiltration membranes (MFI-UF).
· Organic matter: i) total and dissolved organic carbon (TOC, DOC), ii) fluorescence excitation emission matrix (FEEM), iii) ultraviolet absorbance (UV254), iv) liquid chromatography coupled with organic carbon detection (LC-OCD), v) transparent exopolymer particles (TEP)
· Biomass quantification: i) adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP), ii) total, live and dead cells quantification by flow cytometry (FCM)
· Biological fouling: i) bacterial growth potential test (BGP-ATP/FCM), ii) membrane fouling simulator (MFS)
· Scaling: i) induction time tests, ii) scaling and antiscalant dosing projections by standard procedures and free commercial software.
- Performance assessment of water treatment systems.
- Field work.
Ready to apply?Visit course website
The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a student-centred system based on the student workload required to achieve the objectives of a programme of study. Its aim is to facilitate the recognition of study periods undertaken by mobile students through the transfer of credits. The ECTS is based on the principle that 60 credits are equivalent to the workload of full-time student during one academic year.
Information not available
No Numerus Fixus
Without numerus fixus.
Tuition fee 2023/2024
The EU/EEA rate is the regular fee for students from within the EU/EEA.
The non-EU/EEA rate is the rate for students from outside the EU/EEA.
Pre-requisites are a basic knowledge of chemistry, microbiology, water treatment. Civil, chemical or environmental engineering background is a plus.
Check when you can start and what you have to pay!
The institutional rate is for all students who have already obtained a bachelor’s or master’s degree and who want to start a second programme leading to a degree at the same level or at a lower level.
|Information not available|
|Start date||App. deadline EU/EEA||App. deadline Non-EU/EEA|
|5 Jun '23||5 May '23||5 May '23|
You can check if you're eligible for scholarships that apply to this course.
Orange Knowledge Programma (OKP)
The Orange Knowledge Programme aims to contribute to a society's sustainable and inclusive development. Its scholarships are open to mid-career professionals in specific countries.
MENA Scholarship Programme (MSP)
The MENA Scholarship Programme (MSP) offers scholarships to professionals for short courses in the Netherlands.
IHE Delft Institute for Water EducationMain address
2611 AX Delft
015 - 2151715