Philosophy of a specific discipline
What makes natural science 'scientific'? What is a just law? What can science tell us about free will and ethical responsibilities? In this degree, you'll explore the philosophical aspects of science.
The bachelor Philosophy of a specific discipline is an English-taught program. After the first year of your bachelor, you can enroll in this program. You can either start it while continuing your own bachelor, usually during the 2nd and 3rd year of your first bachelor, or start the bachelor Philosophy of a specific discipline after your first bachelor (usually as a 4th year of your bachelor studies).
Philosophy of a specific discipline consists of:
- a Minor (30 ECTS), introducing you to the history of philosophy and to some of the major philosophical areas such as ethics, philosophy of science, social-political philosophy, and logic;
- a Specialization Course (5 ECTS) that introduces you to the field of philosophy that is most relevant to your first bachelor and connects both disciplines;
- three electives (15 EC) to gain more in-depth knowledge of your Specialization;
- a Bachelor’s Thesis (10 ECTS) in which you carry out philosophical research connected to the discipline of your first bachelor, in well-organized course;
- 120 ECTS of your first bachelor programme
More information about the programme and courses see p. 46 of the study guide.
Ready to apply?Visit course website
Bachelor of Arts
The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a student-centred system based on the student workload required to achieve the objectives of a programme of study. Its aim is to facilitate the recognition of study periods undertaken by mobile students through the transfer of credits. The ECTS is based on the principle that 60 credits are equivalent to the workload of full-time student during one academic year.
No Numerus Fixus
Without numerus fixus.
Tuition fee 2023/2024
The EU/EEA rate is the regular fee for students from within the EU/EEA.
The non-EU/EEA rate is the rate for students from outside the EU/EEA.
* At least 60 ECTS of the first year of your bachelor program or a propaedeutic exam: in order to be admitted, you need to have a completed a propaedeutic degree/first year of a non-philosophical research university bachelor program. We will check whether you have obtained enough ECTS * It is not possible to apply for this program with a degree of a university of applied sciences (HBO)
TOEFL IBT score of 92, an IELTS score of 6.5
In relation to the Corona crisis, the Bachelors-before-masters-rule has been adapted.
- IELTS overall band
- TOEFL internet based
Check when you can start and what you have to pay!
The institutional rate is for all students who have already obtained a bachelor’s or master’s degree and who want to start a second programme leading to a degree at the same level or at a lower level.
|Information not available|
|Start date||App. deadline EU/EEA||App. deadline Non-EU/EEA|
|1 Sep '23||1 May '23||-|
|1 Sep '24||1 May '24||-|
|1 Sep '25||1 May '25||-|
Oude Boteringestraat 44
9712 GL Groningen
050 363 9011