Liability insurance

If you cause an accident and someone is injured or if you damage someone's property, you are responsible for paying all the costs of the accident. You might, for example, break something in your rented room. Or, on a more serious note, you might cause a road accident.

Accidents like these can be very expensive. You are therefore strongly advised to take out a good liability insurance policy, which will cover the costs in many cases.

In the Netherlands, damage caused on the job is usually covered by the employer's liability insurance. If you are an intern, you are usually included in the company’s liability insurance, just like their regular employees. To be certain, however, please check with the company or organisation you will be working for.

Repatriation insurance

Repatriation means returning to your home country. If you happen to become seriously ill, you might prefer to get medical care close to home. It would be wise to have an insurance policy covering the costs of transferring back to your home country in these situations.

Household contents insurance

Household contents insurance covers the contents of your home against loss due to causes such as theft, fire or water damage.